Friday, October 15, 2010

My "Elvis" has died....

R.I.P. General Johnson
May 23, 1943 - October 13, 2010
Chairmen of the Board's singer "General" Norman Johnson passed away at the young age of 67.   I found out this terrible news yesterday.  I was at work and got a text from my friend Josh that said "GENERAL JOHNSON DIED!!!"  I immediately gasped out loud as my mouth hit to the floor.  I tried googling to see what kind of information I could find and hoping that it wasn't true...but the first thing I saw was a quote that read "It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our great friend and hero, General Johnson."

For those of you who don't know who this legend was, you should be ashamed of yourself!  Haha, j/k, he was the lead singer and songwriter for the band Chairmen of the Board.  They are probably the most recognizable beach band in the Carolinas'.  You might know their song "Give Me Just A Little More Time," which was a major hit in the 1970's...or "Patches"...and my all time favorite "Carolina Girls."

Garrett and I had the great pleasure of meeting General Johnson and his band members in April of 2009.  This was actually during the trip Garrett came out to South Carolina to meet me for the first time.  AKA: the time we both fell absolutely head over heels in love with each other...(gag, I know) but very true.  Garrett worked his magic and contacted Ken Knox, which is the saxophone player in the band, and we were the "special guests" of their concert that night and got to hangout with them back stage...so this band is very special to us because they kind of played a part in the beginning of our little thing called love.  

I will forever remember how talented this man was and how he could put on such a great show.  I'm going to end with a message posted on the Chairmen’s official site that  reads “He held a special place in his heart for each and every one of his family, friends, and fans. He will be surely missed, but his music will stand."

Here are a couple of pictures I found.  Some old and some recent....enjoy:


  



RGL

1 comment: